Saturday, September 3, 2011

Survival of the fittest


After some time I have fallen back into the old habits of gathering and collecting.
It's a mystery to me how it happens!
My house begins to look like a pawn shop, everything is everywhere, I am not a hoarder, or am I?
I love things and I love to surround myself but then there always comes the breaking point where I begin to feel overwhelmed. I need to clean out, reduce, separate the good from the not so good, things overdue to part with, the old, but not old enough to keep and the simply not needed objects. Oh, where to draw the line?
I have done it before. 
There are too many magazines around my house and collected mementos from travels around the world, shells and plant bits and pieces, books of course and dresses I do not wear anymore but I hang on for the memories I have in them.  There are movie and opera tickets, trolley stubs from cities I have toured, a fan from Venice and paper napkins from Paris. Old travel brochures and older travel guides, perfectly outdated.


Perfume samples and bottles without a scent left in them.
Paint from years back, artwork provided by my children, old suitcases filled with  toys and memories of childhoods past, books and more books. Birthday wishes and cards  from yesteryear.
A whole shelve filled with cook books I have hardly used! Anyone?
Piles of shoes and boots in all sizes.
Simply much what life has passed to me! I tend to keep it!
But it is cathartic to clean out, refreshing to start anew and it eases the load to maintain.


So I will start again tomorrow, sorting and giving away, selling and tossing, for a fresh autumn and a clean house!
Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely. Take a look at Joni's post on living with less clutter. Only keep what you truly love. There are many thrift shops or those less fortunate who would love your trappings. I too have been forced to toss. My daughter I watched "Buried Alive" and were so saddened how one's life can be controlled by mass clutter. Your clutter could be in a "Bergdorf Goodman" window! Such style.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAR DEAR VICTORIA!!!!

    I love that BLUE DOOR AND...it is so marvelous to see you! Thank you for the compliment; I AM A FAIRY and I love tutus, magic and smiles. Let us pray.....teeeheee...that my students will LEARN and LOVE school. I have several goals this year to improve. I want to do the best for them.

    Thank you for coming!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often ask myself the same thing 'am I a hoarder?. Still not sure of the answer. Great pics. Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck....I'm doing the same thing, some people spring clean I think of fall as a new start. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's a good news and a bad news. the good news is: i think you're so NOT a hoarder! the bad news is: it's still super hard to part with all those little objects of nostalgia - some of which can make "temporarily lost" memories come back to mind so vividly. looking forward to visiting you for your birthday!!! we'll bring an empty suitcase and will be happy to help you get rid of sopme of that beautiful clutter of yours ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blue door. I never thought that blue fits for doors. Nice post.

    J. Harp
    writer @ Italian Lamps

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement! I am still at it.....Getting there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails